- RSS Channel Showcase 8255710
- RSS Channel Showcase 7886640
- RSS Channel Showcase 5957766
- RSS Channel Showcase 7260551
Articles on this Page
- 12/15/14--01:00: _PXE Booting - Error...
- 12/15/14--04:56: _Does sonar protecti...
- 12/15/14--08:34: _Best practices: MSD...
- 12/15/14--10:25: _Turn off image mult...
- 12/15/14--11:18: _VLC Player Missing ...
- 12/15/14--11:46: _DS 6.9 SP6 on serve...
- 12/15/14--13:20: _Copy Symantec Defin...
- 12/15/14--13:41: _Highlight
- 12/15/14--14:06: _.img to .gho altiri...
- 12/15/14--23:34: _Software installati...
- 12/16/14--05:01: _SEP Whitelisting
- 12/16/14--05:30: _How to do an inplac...
- 12/16/14--09:51: _How do I create a n...
- 12/16/14--11:52: _Altiris DS - Setup ...
- 12/16/14--13:36: _Since upgrading to ...
- 12/16/14--14:19: _Computers Merged Re...
- 12/17/14--04:39: _Running IE8 & IE9 o...
- 12/17/14--06:53: _Wise Install Maker ...
- 12/17/14--07:22: _Altiris Patch repor...
- 12/17/14--08:33: _Workflow - Compare ...
- 12/15/14--01:00: PXE Booting - Error 546
- 12/15/14--04:56: Does sonar protection blocks TCP IP port?
- 12/15/14--08:34: Best practices: MSDN vs. Standalone licensing
- Tracking users that have MSDN licenses doesn't make sense in any report that is there
- Available licenses for the user in deployment becomes impossible to track for the staff
- Management of said licenses becomes to convoluted for it to be implemented through Altiris
- 12/15/14--10:25: Turn off image multicasting
- 12/15/14--11:18: VLC Player Missing from PM Import
- 12/15/14--11:46: DS 6.9 SP6 on server 2012
- 12/15/14--13:20: Copy Symantec Definition Files to Non-Networked computer
- 12/15/14--13:41: Highlight
- 12/15/14--14:06: .img to .gho altiris7.5
- 12/15/14--23:34: Software installation at the time of Image Deployment
- 12/16/14--05:01: SEP Whitelisting
- 12/16/14--05:30: How to do an inplace upgrade with Ghost solution suite 2.5.1
- 12/16/14--09:51: How do I create a new workflow copied from an existing one?
- 12/16/14--11:52: Altiris DS - Setup running in GUI mode
- 12/16/14--13:36: Since upgrading to CMS 7.5 SP1 HF4 getting errors when imaging
- 12/16/14--14:19: Computers Merged Report
- 12/17/14--04:39: Running IE8 & IE9 on Win7 ?
- 12/17/14--06:53: Wise Install Maker 9.02 Application Runtimes
- 12/17/14--07:22: Altiris Patch reports - Policies
- 12/17/14--08:33: Workflow - Compare two Variables
I am having endless issues PXE booting a Lenovo E540 machine from our Ghost Cast Server.
All the lenovo laptops we have had up until this new model have not given any problems. Our Ghostcast server is running the 3COM TFTP Server for the PXE booting option. I have changed the E540 to Legacy boot mode and it picks up the PXE boot session. It starts loading, beeps and shows the Ghost Cast interface screen prompting ERROR 546 : Output error file to the following location A:\ghosterr.txt
I have tried adding the "-afile=c:\errorfile.txt" to the commandline of the ghostcast server with no avail. If i Cancel the error message I get an "Application Error 40217 - Cannot create a file preservation Metadata at filepath "."
I assume there is a problem with the mapping of where the image is located. But what I cannot figure out is whether this is related to the E540 range of laptops in general. I have tried 3 different E540, yielding the same result. All the other models so far have not given any problems (eg. E520, E531).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I just wanted to confirm enabling the sonar protection blocks TCP IP port or not . If so which are the ports it uses . Can we prevent it from blocking
In our environment we have multitude of licenses and the ways of purchase. Since we have some packages software and others that is being installed manually, license tracking becomes cumbersome. To alleviate the pain, I'll be the person that will have to manually add the license for each software (packaged or just tracked). However, I don't see any information that will make the MSDN license be tracked differently than the standalone licenses. I saw a post that references use of custom inventory (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/man...) but this is notfeasible out of following reasons:
A valid solution is needed. Workaround is not really an option.
I'm using DS 7.5 and would like to have NO image multicasting at all.
In Settings -> Deployment and Migration -> Image Multicasting, there's a text field "Threshold", which is, I assume, the minimum number of clients at which to use multicast. What should I set this to if I want no multicasting at all?
I have been running the Symantec Patch Management 7.5, and versions 7.1 & 7.0 prior to that, over the last 2-3 years. I recently got a request to update VLC Player, which concerned me since it should be included in Patch Mgt. I know for a fact I had been patching VLC Player as recently as their last release (v.2.1.5, in July), but the patch policy is missing, and the PM Import list has no entry for VLC Player at all. I've searched the forums w little result, but haven't opened a case yet. Has anyone else had this issue, or one similar? Has VLC Player been removed from the PMI list?
I have DS 6.9 SP6 installed on several 2012 R2 servers and the console works just fine. On the first few I was able to set up DSWEB with no problem using .Net v4.5 Classic for the app pool.
On a few of them however, I cannot get dsweb to work. I just get a blank page when navigating to it. I've tried every IIS setting I can think of with no luck. The permissions are correct and I can navigate to the default web site, so I know IIS is working.
Upgrading to DS 7.1 or 7.5 is not an option.
Anyone else seen this?
I need to copy the SEP definition files to a computer that does not have any Internet or local area network access for security and policy reasons. It still needs updated definition files as we do copy data to it to via DVD so it can analyze it and run reports.
I know it was possible in the past to copy definition files from one computer to another computer but I can't find the directions. We have SEP 12.1.5.
anyone know how I can do if I want that when my CheckBoxList has chosen option but justification has nothing written and if I click the button to save, send me an error that justification is required and I change the border color field missing.
We have recently upgraded our version of altris to version 7.5 from 6.1. We have about 20 images that were created in the older version of Altris. (.img). We would like to know how to either covert the images to .gho (or .ghs) or import them into the new build so we don't have to recreate all the images. We have found online the resourceimporttool.exe but it does nothing when we run it. Is there a place we can reinstall or redownload that portion?
Can anyone help me how to install software or to do software deployment at the time of Image deployment.
While deploying image we need to deploy software package as well.
Anyone having idea about the same.
Does SEP 12 have functionality to build an application whitelist (using a fingerprint list)?
I have my licenses for ghost but have never used it before, i have the console and everything installed on a 2012 server and i have the Ghost client installed on my test machine.
What i need to be able to do is an inplace upgrade from Widows XP to Windows 7 but i havent a clue where to start.
I have a custom workflow that I would like to duplicate to create a new one with a few differences. How do I do this to make a new, unique project without harming the original? Can I simply copy the project folder to a new one and rename workflow project within as well as the primary model? Or are there too many issues with this method such that it's easier to start from scratch?
I have a scripted OS install working perfectly OK for an HP 6450b laptop. When I use the same scripted OS install on a Dell Latitude E5410, the script OS install is stuck at "Setup running in GUI mode". for the 1st script OS job. It then just sits there and does not complete the other jobs. It seems that the Altiris DAgent is not reporting back to the DS console. The DAgent is installed on the laptop and in the status shows "Client record updated". The Broadcom netxtreme network drivers are also installed form the driver repository. I am not sure why it is not reporting back to the console. Please advise.
Thanks in advance !!
I just upgraded our environment CMS 7.5 SP1 HF4.
Ever since I can't get the Deployment Package Server on the Site Servers to update from version 7.5.1599 to 7.5.3251
Also when imaging - both from an image and SOI with DA getting the error below:
ErrorMessage: Exception has occured in File SMPPackage.cpp at Line No 793. Type of exception is GeneralError. Error is Default Message Exception in CSMPPackageException. Error Description is utilCSMPPackagegetPackageRawWebPath. Value of Windows error code = 183 and message is Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
Not sure if the two issues are connected - any ideas?
Here is report that might come in handy if you ever wanted a report of Computers Merged.
,bi.[Hardware Serial Number]
,m._eventTime as DateMerged
from Evt_Asset_Merge_Event m
join vComputer c on c.Guid = m.MergedResourceGuid
left join Inv_AeX_AC_Identification bi on bi._ResourceGuid = c.Guid
order by m._eventTime desc
Our current Win7 build has IE9 on it. Is it possible to run a virtual version of IE8 alongside this.
Some older aspps need this version?
There is a closed post in this forum also title "Wise Install Maker 9.02 Application Runtimes" and located here:
I am in the same situation and am moving a Wise 9.02 installer build from a WinXP system to a Win7 system. Some of the installers for the product build OK on the Win7 system. Some require files in the %_WISE_%\RUNTIME directory that I have not been able to locate yet.
The referenced post above indicates these files can be downloaded by going here:
However, the username and/or password given there does not appear to work on this page:
Can anyone help? Really need those files to get these installers created on the new Win7 system.
(Yes, we know Wise 9 is ancient and obsolete and no longer supported; nothing we can do about that at the moment.)
Thanks for any help!
I am currently patching one of our customer using Altisi 7.1.
we currently patch servers and desktops seperatly using 2 different patch polices, however when i go to run a compliance report or a remediation report the patches contained within the server patch policy are showing against the desktops, even though they have not been advertised to them.
is there anyway of running a compliance report against a policy???
I am looking for a component that works like the "Matches Rule", but allows me to compare a varaible against another variable to check if they match.
Does that component exist?